Old MiniDisc Page News 1996
Past News: Recent,
- 28 Dec: Fullcompass carries
the TASCAM 564 Portastudio. (Thanks to George Skala).
- 27 Dec: Looking for a cheap CD player with optical output? The
Sony CDP-XE500 provides this and is available from J&R Music World for
$139 and Camera World for $118. Camera World is also an inexpensive
source for the MDBundle3 (Thanks to Jake Becker and others).
- 27 Dec: Sony support can be contacted via email at email@example.com. Rumor has
it that they respond quickly. (Thanks Martin).
- 15 Dec: A Sharp
press release states Sharp will be giving away free blank MDs with
purchase of an MD unit (Thanks Mads!).
- 13 Dec: Harmony Central has a brief
MiniDisc ``White Paper'' from Sony, pertaining to MD use in
multitrack applications as well as info on the
Sony MDM-X4 and
Yamaha MD4 multitrack machines.
- 12 Dec: John Nevill finds the Tascam 564
Portastudio English page.
- 7 Dec: Oren Levi spots NetMarket which
sells several pieces of
- 6 Dec: Synchro
in France sells MD blanks.
- 6 Dec: Erin has contributed a nice review of the RM-D10P remote
- 4 Dec:
JVC's Japanese MD page (found by Shawn Lin).
- 3 Dec: William Vonah spots a Sony Shop selling MD
equipment in Lausanne Switzerland and Arbos in Japan which
sells a few MD decks.
- 30 Nov: W. Richard Jhang contributed information on charging the Sharp MD-MS100
- 30 Nov: De Luca
Musikhaus Thomann in Germany, and Lassin HIFI in
Finland sell Sony MD gear.
- 30 Nov: Audio World
reports on a study indicating that the market share for professional
MiniDisc will increase.
- 30 Nov: MD Data blanks: Recorded Media
Supply sells them, and Computer ESP lists
- 29 Nov: Dragon
Electronic Enterprises in Australia imports MD equipment.
- 29 Nov: Turnkey in England sells the Yamaha MD4
and an SCMS
stripper. (Thanks again Mads).
- 28 Nov: ProSound
NewsWire reports that the MD 4 trackers are becoming
popular. (Thanks Mads).
- 26 Nov: Alert surfer Colin Roberts (and others) spotted
Alpine's car MD page.
- 25 Nov: A new section on MD
audio component systems has been added.
- 25 Nov:
Onkyo's Japanese MiniDisc pages contain some nice diagrams
related to MD theory (all in Japanese).
- 24 Nov: Scott MacLean spots Crutchfield's
- 21 Nov: Kevin Yu has some nice shots of Sony MD Portable
- 18 Nov: Hardeep spots the MD-ST60,
Sharp's new tiny portable, with 5 hours playback time.
- 17 Nov: Martin Borus describes emergency TOC
procedures for an MDS-303 deck (and other modern Sony MD decks).
These are useful if you need to undo an edit, or recover a disc where
power failed in mid-recording.
- 17 Nov: According to TWICE, MD is catching on in Sony's test markets
(Thanks to Daryl O.).
- 17 Nov: Another glimpse of Sharp's
MiniDisc Data Camera, this time with an actual part number (Thanks
to Kawaratani and Marcos).
- 15 Nov: Two fine articles on the Yamaha MD4 and Tascam 564 four track recorders
from Britain's ``The MIX'' Magazine.
- 13 Nov: Stephen Lafferty has kindly contributed a set of headphone amplifier plans to help
give Sony's MZ-E40 MD all the headphone oomph anyone could want.
- 12 Nov:
HIFI COMPONENTS in Germany sells MD equipment.
- 8 Nov: Otto Makela has kindly established a European mirror site in Finland
- 6 Nov: Hitmall now sells MD cases
and the RM-D10P remote titler.
- 3 Nov: A few sketchy
details of MD disc data
structures from Jan Maes' MiniDisc book.
- 1 Nov: With the kind permission from Electronics Australia (and
help from Graham Baker) there is a review of the MDS-JA3ES.
- 1 Nov: Philips announces it is taking DCC out of production. A follow up
article discusses some of the problems Philips encountered selling
- 31 Oct: Sound
Conceptions sells Sony car MD units.
- 31 Oct: Sharp displays a prototype MD
Still Camera and audio Recorder/Player at the Japan Electronics
Show (Thanks Hardeep!).
- 30 Oct: Sharp's new SS70 MD
player's English Summary and Japanese picture
pages, courtesy Hardeep's expert surfing.
- 28 Oct: Hardeep spots
Yamaha's own MD4 Pages, which are extensive and mention how
MD4 can now be
used with normal audio MiniDiscs as a 2 track
- 20 Oct: Wholesale
Connection has a good price on the Sony JE500/E40 bundle. Their
web page doesn't list it anymore, but they sell the bundle along with
2 60' blanks for $479 (not incl. shipping).
- 18 Oct: MDS-JE700/J3000
pictures and info are in the product table.
- 17 Oct: Spyflash! Alex Reinelt's videocam captures the newest JA50ES MD deck.
- 16 Oct: Pre-pre-release info on Sony's new MDS-JA50ES, 'JE700, 'CX8000 and
'MS99 changer units.
- 1 Oct: Sharp's
MD pages has some background information about Sharp's MD projects.
- 1 Oct: Sony's E30 and E50 tiny portable players [in English].
- 23 Sep: A few details about Sony's MXD-D1 CD/MD deck are in
the product table.
- 23 Sep:
Sony's holiday season press release mentions the JE500/MZ-E40
- 8 Aug: Pictures and info on the MZ-R4ST,
Sony's latest portable recorder.
- 6 Aug: Sony PDF-5 personal
document file stores up to 1000 documents on an MD Data disc.
- 3 Aug: Technical Report Summary: Sanyo researchers pack 48 hours of
voice on an MD.
- 8 Aug: Press clippings on
Sony's re-intro of the MD to North America. (Hello Austin and Rochester!).
- 13 July: Technical Report Summary: ATRAC2 Encoder/Decoder LSI by Watanabe
- 4 July: Technical Report Summary: One-chip LSI for MiniDisc by
Sasaki et al.
- 4 July: Reg Smith describes the use of MD in his music box restoration work.
- 2 July: Excerpts of German Stereo
Magazine (July) about Sony's new ATRAC
- 25 May: Blank
MiniDisk error rates are compared using a Sony MDS-503 in test mode.