MiniDisc Aiwa Equipment Notes
Aiwa portable MD recorders have the following general characteristics:
- Program Play Mode Aiwa units can be programmed to play back up
to 25 tracks, in user defined order.
- Auto and Manual Recording Level Control Aiwas prior to
the AM-F90 are the only machines with both an automatic recording
level mode ("AGC") and a manual recording level control that can be
changed while recording is underway.
- Backlit Control Buttons Many Aiwa units (but not the
AM-F80 or AM-F90) feature backlit control buttons.
- Separate drycell battery box Aiwa battery boxes prior to
the one for the AM-F90 do not mechanically connect with the portable,
rather they remain separate, connected only through a short power
- Several Aiwa units come with a microphone. Jim Lee comments:
This is the same mic Aiwa has been supplying with their walkman recorders for
years. I first encountered it years ago when I bought an Aiwa HS-J380 cassette
recorder. I don't use the recorder any more but the mic has been a part of my
recording gear ever since. It is a wonderful little microphone (Aiwa CM-S20),
surprising in its accuracy and very sensitive. It does not handle high sound
pressure levels very well so it might not work well for live concert recording
(never tried that). Otherwise, though, a fine little microphone for the money.
Japan Direct sells them separately for about US$25.